Friday, January 22, 2010

It's Not All Bad

As promised, here is a more postive look at my life in Korea. I've compiled my top ten reasons I'm thankful for being in Korea. Also, I've asked my friend/co-worker Amanda to make a list as well. She came to Korea just over a year and a half ago and has fallen in love with the country and plans to stay here forever. May these be proof that not everyone is nearly as cynical as I am...and that even I'm not as cynical as I make myself out to be. So, without further ado:
Amanda's List is as follows:

10. Always a variety of things to do: bowling, hiking, shopping, bungee jumping, amusement parks, ice skating, swimming and biking. Plus all things are reachable in about an hour or less.
9. Amazing public transportation that is cheap and will get you ANYWHERE.
8. Koreans crazy desire to learn EVERYTHING.
7. Jimjilbangs (Korean Sauna/Spa/Bath houses)
6. Street vendors for everything including clothing, plants, and movies and well you got the idea.
5. Good food all night long at hofs(bars with food).
4. Bars and other establishments being open all night long.
3. The amount of respect that Koreans have for their elders.
2. Korean Food. Especially kimchi, kimbap(rice roll), bibimbap(rice and veggies with red pepper paste), and dukbokki (rice cake in spicy sauce).
1. Korean Boys especially Lee Sung Gi, Kim Bum, Boys from Boys Over Flowers (Korean TV Drama)



My Top Ten Reasons I'm Thankful I'm In Korea:
10.Korean Food
9. Communal Society
8. Easy Winter
7. Seeing similarities between here and USA.
6. Konglish (Misspelled English words/English words written in Hangul...consequently, I feel like when I get home, I'm going to rock at the game Mad Gab, because reading English words written in Hangul and trying to sound them out is like constantly playing that game.)
5. Community and unity felt between other foriegners.
4. Lifechurch
3. God growing me in ridiculous ways. (Ok, this should obviously be number 1, but I'm going to be honest, it sucks a lot of the time, despite how "good" it is for me.) :)
2. Traveling around Asia
1. The People: Co-workers and Church Friends. I am SO incredibly blessed with people in my life here who encourage me beyond belief. Without them (and the insane grace of God) I would collapse. Thanks guys. I love you all and can't tell you how thankful I am to have you in my life.






1 comment:

  1. Hey Melisa. I'm seen you at church and I'm sure we've even talked a couple of times. My husband is Eric, the bald guy with the big glasses. He told me about your blog...you're cynical like me (about Korea). Eric said he had a beer w/ you and some folks from LifeChurch while I was back in Michigan. We should grab a beer sometime. I'm here as a wife, not teaching...so I feel like I'm missing out on lots. aimelise (at) gmail (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete