Saturday, January 23, 2010

Duck and Cover

Today, my friend Jessica and I were walking back to our building from the subway, when the one thing all foriegners in Korea dread happened. Minding our own business, a man in a suit (with a suitcase for some reason) began walking along side us. "Hi. We're taking a survey..."
"No. Thank You." I cut him off.
"It will only take a few minutes."
"No. Thank you." We hadn't stopped walking.
"But..."
"No. Thank you."
He stopped.
"Have a good day." I tossed back.
A few steps later, Jessica asked "Church of God?"
"Yep."
We have the unfortunate circumstance of living practically next door to the Church of God. If you are unfamilar with this sect, let me fill you in.
This church is pretty big, and they are very eager to share their message of God the Mother. God the Mother is a significant portion of what they believe. She apparently is an old woman who lives here in Imae (a district of my city Seongnam City). However, of course, no one can quite pinpoint where she is. Folks from the church hover around and tell you they are practicing for a sermon and want to practice in English. Or that they are doing a survey. Just tell me what you want to tell me, man. Don't try to cover it up. I wish I had more patience to listen to them, but generally, I'm annoyed. I've found that by tossing out the term "bad theology" they are rendered speechless and will let you on your way.
Anyway, we made it safely past them once again. However, the mothership should be arriving any moment, so I best be off.

No comments:

Post a Comment