Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Reverse Culture Shock-Take 1

Ok, so I know the title of this blog is Bundang Song and the address is melisafindsASIA and Stockholm and Helsinki are neither of those, but I'm writing my blogs here for a while anyway, because they'll all probably be reflecting back on being in Korea.
This morning, before my plane had even lifted off the ground, my time in Korea seemed surreal...like a dream. Now, being on the other side of the world, though it is still dream like, it's funny to see the cultural (and otherwise) differences.
For instance, my plane landed in Stockholm, I looked out the window....and I could see!! It was amazing! And beautiful, as there was lots of snow around tall thin trees, crowded around one another. There were no cookie cuter white buildings towering above me, crowding my vision.
Then, on the train ride into the center of the city, the sun nearly blinded me! Was it always this big? Is it bigger up North? It was massive and bright and I couldn't remember seeing it that way for a long long time. Or even being able to see it at all when it was that near the horizon!
Also noted on the train...houses!!! People live in houses! With yards! Not tall (again cookie cutter) apartment buildings all piled on top of one another, but houses of all colors and styles. Ah....so lovely.
Then, as I wandered around Stockholm a bit, I saw a couple making out on the street corner. Yesterday, I saw a Korean couple give each other a peck and that was only the second time I'd seen Koreans kiss in public...and both were done in haste. This couple in Stockholm had no qualms about slathering each others tongues right where I needed to cross the street.
Oh, cultures. How I love to compare them.
More to come, when it hasn't been 24 hours since I slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment